

Minutes
10-Year Strategic Planning Committee
Wednesday, January 14, 2015 @ 7:00pm
Norma Drummer Room/Seymour Town Hall

Item #1: Call meeting to order

The meeting was called to order at 7:04 PM

Item #2: Pledge of Allegiance

All present stood and recited the Pledge Allegiance

Item #3: Public comment

There was no public comment.

Item #4: Approval of minutes

There was a motion to approve the minutes from the December 10, 2014 meeting.

Motion: Don Smith

Second: Bruce Baker

Vote: 4-0

Item #5: Review plans drafted

Trish: Because we'll be dealing with so many departments, I think it would be helpful to have all the notes in template form from the interviews to pull commonalities.

Kathie: I think we're seeing a lot of commonalities already, technology for one. My understanding is that this is higher level and so we don't need to get into departmental minutiae. We need to figure out where the strategic plan ends and an implementation plan begins.

Bruce: This should be an executive summary.

Trish: I just think it would be a shame to get rid of all the documentation, lest it be forgotten.

Rory: There's no reason we can't have a document appendix at the end. There are some items from the departmental templates that may not fit into the Town's overall plan.

Don: Yeah, for example, we can pull the commonality of improving river access from the Conservation Commission's and the rest can be what they will be working on on a monthly basis.

Trish: Since we're not experts in these fields, how do we prioritize?

Rory: They have done that in the templates and we'll take it under consideration.

Kathie: We need to get the interviews done first before we really know where we're going.

Don: I would reword certain parts of the economic development portion.

Trish: Kathie, you mentioned that you could go back and put some of the interviews we've already done into the template. Is that still the case?

Kathie: Yes, I can do that. I've been talking to the Librarian and she hasn't gotten a lot of input for her vision from her Board so I asked her to do it on her own.

Trish: We probably want to meet with the Blight Officer again since his discussion was very informal, Human Resources as well. We want to keep the data uniform.

Item #6: Remaining town department meetings

a. Schedule for Wednesday evenings

Trish: We're just going to entrust Rory to get 2 groups established for each Wednesday that we're off.

b. Schedule for Rory/Bruce daytime

Rory will try to line people up for Bruce during the week and for Kathie on Fridays.

Item #7: Open discussion

Bruce: Is the Board of Selectmen moving forward with the Permanent Building Committee?

Rory: Yes, I'm reaching out to people.

Don: Kurt asked if I'd rather be on that committee than this one. I said that would probably be a better fit and harder to replace here.

Trish: Next meeting, please bring ethics disclosure form for everyone next time. Is the municast ready?

Rory: Yes, we've scheduled a meeting on January 28th at 11 AM.

Trish: Please invite Rick Belden as well.

Kathie: I found another provider of informational signs. This one has put them up in Connecticut – New Haven, Hamden, Waterbury, Bridgeport, a lot of churches – Stewart Signs. We'll try to get more information from them. I'm trying to get an idea of initial and ongoing costs.

Don: There are zoning regulations about digital signs. We may get accused of not practicing what we preach.

Rory: I thought we were meeting with Kurt, Doug and Tony at the next meeting.

Trish: I think that would be good.

Rory: I was thinking they would talk to us about where they are within the strategic plan, what's being working on and what the progress is. Also they could discuss any additional initiatives that are being undertaken outside the scope of the plan so that we're aware of it and can potentially incorporate it. Then I think they should tell us about what they think they'll get to in the next quarter. Then obviously they can answer any questions we have. I was also talking with Kurt. We're going to move forward with creating an executive summary of the quarterly reports together with a sort of quarterly summary of activities Town-wide. This will be further distilled into a quarterly newsletter. Quarterly reports would be due by the first Tuesday of a quarter, the executive summary would be for the third and then we would meet with Kurt, Doug and Tony for the last Wednesday. Does this sound like a good format for everyone going forward?

Trish: That sounds great. Also have them take a look at the priorities as well.

Don: Are there any issues that need to be addressed as well.

Trish: Kathie, you were going to give us an update on the mold at the library?

Kathie: Yes, the report is uploaded to the google drive but there wasn't any mold.

Item #8: Adjournment

A motion was made to adjourn.

Motion: Bruce Baker

Second: Kathie Vriik

Vote: 4-0

Submitted by,



Rory Burke

Recording Secretary